Things to do
Coopers Knowe House provides a great base for anyone passionate about hill walking, sea-kayaking, sea or river angling and golf.
Wildlife enthusiasts are also well catered for, as is anyone simply wanting to indulge in a little rest and relaxation. Within the house there are two lounges, a flat screen TV, a DVD player and a Ruark audio centre together with a range of books and board games. Across in the separate annexe, there is an additional TV together with a pool table, table tennis top, PlayStation3 and a dart board. So you can be as active or as inactive as you choose.
On the doorstep
Either on the estate itself or within a few minutes’ walk of the house, there’s plenty to do. Here are a few suggestions:
- Take a dip in the loch – it is surprisingly warm in the summer months
- Take a walk along the pebble beach; build sandcastles in the nearby cove
- Fish for mackerel, coal fish and pollock in the loch – basic rods are provided
- Tackle either Rois-Bhein (Roshven) or An Stac, both of which are classified as Corbetts
And if you have your own kayak or rowing boat this can be launched directly into the loch in front of the house.
There is also a great diversity of wildlife. From the lounge window you are high likely to spot both land and sea birds; red deer are particularly common.
There have also been sightings of:
- pine martins,
- pole cats and
- a genuine ‘wild cat’
Down by the loch, you may catch a glimpse of otters and occasionally even dolphins, basking sharks and seals.
And in Roshven we have as our neighbours, Leon and Alison Durbin who run Wildwood Bushcraft . Wildwood Bushcraft offers a range of bushcraft survival courses in the beautiful ancient woodlands in the surrounding area and, availability permitting, can organise a course tailored to your particular requirements.
Visit http://www.wildwoodbushcraft.com/index.htm for more information.
And for anyone wanting simply to relax, the house itself is equipped with a flat screen TV, bluray DVD player, a Ruark music centre as well as plenty of books and board games.
Within a short drive of the house
- Watersports – Glenuig (10 minutes in the car from the house) offers the chance to hire sea kayaks (if you have the required licences) or to take part in an organized kayak excursion.
- Hillwalking – inn addition to Rois-Bhein and An-Stac, there are also some exhilarating walks to Glen Moidart or Loch Ailort via the mountains and of course there’s always the summit of Ben Nevis to tackle
- Fishing in addition to sea fishing in the loch, brown trout can be fished from the river Ailort nearby or at Torlundy trout fishery near Fort William.
- Skiing and snowboarding – on offer in season at the Nevis Range (just outside Fort William)
- Wildlife cruises –Soak up the spectacular scenery with a cruise along Loch Shiel from Glenfinnan. Alternatively, take a cruise to the ‘small isles’ from Arisaig,
- Stalking and Shooting–many people come to Roshven for stalking. We have a number of local estates where stalking can be arranged so do enquire when you book.
- Golf – Traigh golf course at Arisaig offers a spectacularly located, but challenging 9 holes – clubs can be hired there at minimal cost. Traig is open all year. There is also golf at Fort William.
- Mountain biking – bikes can be hired from various shops in Fort William as well as on the small isles. The Nevis Range offers the chance to tackle one of the stages of the Mountain Bike World Cup (easier descents are also possible).
- The Jacobite’ Steam Train Ride – go back in time and travel in style in what is described as one of the great railway journeys of the world. Travelling from Fort William to Mallaig, the journey takes you on an 84 mile round trip past some of the most famous and breath taking landscapes in Scotland. And for Harry Potter fans, this journey may be even more special when crossing the Glenfinnan viaduct made famous in the films!
- Lochaber Leisure Centre and the Nevis Centre – indoor swimming pool and ten pin bowling lane
Sea Kayaking in Glenuig www.seakayakarisaig.co.uk/
Sea Kayaking in Lochaber www.rockhopperscotland.co.uk/trips/
Walking trips www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ardnamurchan.shtml
Nevis Range Gondola – mountain biking and snowsports snowsports.nevisrange.co.uk/
Wildlife Cruises from Glenfinnan on Loch Shiel www.highlandcruises.co.uk/
Wildlife Cruises from Arisaig www.arisaig.co.uk/wildlife-cruises.asp
Traigh Golf Course www.traighgolf.co.uk/
Fort William Golf Course www.fortwilliamgolfclub.co.uk/
Lochaber Leisure Centre (Swim, Sauna, Gym, Squash) highlifehighland.com/leisure-facilities/lochaber-leisure-centre
Nevis Centre (ten pin bowling and soft play) www.neviscentre.co.uk/